Building Services


The following occupations are required to be licensed by the proper State Agency to operate in Vernon, Texas; Plumbers, Electricians, Heating and Air Conditioning contractors, and Landscape Irrigators. Conducting business in the City of Vernon without the proper license and liability insurance can result in fines up to $5,000.00 from the City of Vernon and the State of Texas. Knowingly hiring an unlicensed person to work on your property can also result in fines to the property owner.

Permit applications are available at City Hall. City Ordinance requires permits for new construction, plumbing, electrical work, heating and air systems, signs, fences, roofs, portable building / carports, and some remodeling projects.

Please call us at (940) 552-2581 or come by City Hall if you are unsure. Fines for working without a permit double if you begin work without one. Please refer to the fee schedule for building permit fees.

Most building projects require a site or plot plan. Please have a site plan prepared before applying for a permit.

To search permits:


The City of Vernon has adopted the following codes:

  • International Building Code, 2018
  • International Residential Code, 2018
  • International Plumbing Code, 2018
  • International Mechanical Code, 2018
  • International Fuel Gas code, 2018
  • International Energy Conservation Code, 2018
  • National Electric Code, 2017


If you have received a permit and are ready for an inspection, please call (940) 552-2581 and schedule the inspection with City Hall. Most inspections can be completed within 24 hours. It is the property owner's responsibility to schedule inspections with the City building inspector.